Essential oils for allergies
I’m a person who suffers at the hand of seasonal allergies every spring. And by someone who suffers, I mean that I’m on prescription allergy medication and Reactine to get through my day. When my sinuses were plugged recently, I decided I needed something menthol/eucalyptus to help me out.
For those who do not bath (like myself), a shower steamer is an excellent idea. Drop one on the floor of the shower and the water running by it activates it, and you are being steamed into pure menthol bliss. You can make these with any essential oils you like to suit your purposes, just keep in mind that peppermint and menthol should be kept away from children under six (as well as many other essential oils…) practice your due diligence and when in doubt, don’t use it!
Now these steamers are not for the faint of heart. I tried two different recipes before I settled on this one. The first had too much water (I made it on purpose as I could not comprehend how adding water to citric acid and baking soda would not activate them prematurely… I was correct… I now have aromatherapy cookies! The picture shows them growing within minutes of unmolding them). The second recipe worked well, they did not activate prematurely, and they retained their shape during handling.
Aromatherapy Shower Steamers
- 1 cup Westpoint Naturals® Aluminum Free Baking Soda
- 1/2 cup Westpoint Naturals® Citric Acid
- 1 tbsp Cream of Tartar
- Colourant of choosing (herbs that colour are available at Vitality such as Westpoint Naturals® turmeric, or you can grind Hibiscus flowers or use beet Root Powder for a nice pink or Matcha Green Tea powder for a green. Try Westpoint Naturals® herbs for different natural effects.)
- 5 tbsp+ alcohol (99% Isopropyl is what I used, Everclear or denatured alcohol is also an option).
- 20 mL essential oils of choice (combined or single type… I give some ideas below)
- Mix the dry ingredients together well. If using a powdered colourant, add that as well.
- Add the essential oil to 5 tbsp of alcohol.
Using gloved hands, start adding the alcohol mixture to the powder mixture. Keep adding until you reach a sandcastle consistency that holds it shape when squeezed. You may need to add more alcohol to achieve this.
Push into your molds. The smaller the mold the better. I did not have much success with large molds.Push down firmly! A measuring spoon fit perfectly into the opening of the mold I happened to use (an ice cube tray from the dollar store). I packed each cavity as hard as I could.
- Now, you can either leave them in the mold overnight, or you can chance unmolding them at that very moment (helpful, if you don’t have enough molds). The good thing about unmolding them right away is that you’ll have a better idea if you packed them enough or not. If they aren’t wet enough, spritz the powder with more alcohol.
- Let dry (cure) overnight. The next day you should have very hard aromatherapy shower steamers!
Essential oil blend ideas:
- Relaxation: NOW® Lavender Essential oil with NOW® Peppermint Essential oil
- Uplifting: NOW® Lime Essential oil, NOW® Orange Essential oil, and a touch of NOW® Geranium Essential Oil.
- Sinus Relief: Nature’s Essential Gardens® Japanese Peppermint (Cornmint) Essential Oil, NOW®Peppermint Essential Oil, and NOW® Eucalyptus Essential Oil.
- NAKA® Spearmint & NOW® Patchouli Essential oil
- NOW® Lavender & NOW® Patchouli Essential oil
- OR you can use one of our many NOW® Essential oil blends!
Sample Block Quote
Nam tempus turpis at metus scelerisque placerat nulla deumantos solicitud felis. Pellentesque diam dolor, elementum etos lobortis des mollis ut risus. Sedcus faucibus an sullamcorper mattis drostique des commodo pharetras loremos.